HM Assistant Coroner (3-posts)10/05/2018 23:59
HM Coroners Offices, Fairfield, Station Road, Cockermouth, CA13 9PT
Post: HM Assistant Coroner – Cumbria (Three posts)
(Casual / ‘As and when required’)
Salary: Fixed daily rate - £400 per day
Cumbria County Council as relevant authority for the Cumbria Coroner Area is seeking to appoint a new Assistant Coroner (Three posts) to support HM Senior Coroner.
The role is to support HM Senior / Area Coroners in delivering an efficient, effective and high quality Coronial Service to the people of Cumbria, and the wider community.
Within the role you will have the opportunity to help develop and further improve the Coroner services in Cumbria, whilst ensuring any legal and statutory responsibilities are met.
We are looking for an exceptional candidate with excellent proven organisational, management and efficiency skills, as well as experience of managing and embracing change. You will work closely with HM Senior / Area Coroners and the local authority to ensure the service demonstrates value for money, performance and financial efficiencies.
Collaborative working with the local authority, the police and other stakeholders is an essential part of this role.
The successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following:
- Recent experience of Coronial law and procedures either from experience of working as an Assistant Coroner, or experience as appearing as an advocate in complex Coronial cases.
- Have a sound knowledge of the England Wales legal system, including Coronial law and the laws of evidence, the administration of the legal system and Court procedures
- Some knowledge of basic medicine would be an advantage.
- Practical experience in the conduct of Court proceedings and demonstrate the ability to handle highly sensitive or emotionally charged situations effectively.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Effective organisational skills and the ability to multi task, and is able to manage time, people and workload effectively
- The ability to deal with difficult emotional situations in a sensitive manner
- The ability to readily explain legal and medical terms to non-specialists, and competent in dealing with sensitive situations involving relatives, witnesses, the police and the media.
- The ability to prepare and manage any allocated caseload
- Recognise the importance of continuous professional development (CPD) and your own role in your CPD.
- Be motivated and proactive, with a desire to provide an exceptional service to the people of Cumbria and the wider community
It is desirable that the successful candidate will have proven back ground in the legal field, including case management.
The successful candidate will:
- be a barrister or a solicitor or Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives
- satisfy the judicial-appointment eligibility condition on a 5 year basis
- be under the age of 70
- be subject to the appointment & eligibility conditions (Coroners and Justice Act 2009 (s.23 and Schedule 3).
Once appointed the post holder will be a Judicial Office holder until they reach the age of 70 years (compulsory retirement age) unless they chose to resign or are removed by the Lord Chief Justice or Lord Chancellor prior their 70th birthday.
The Assistant Coroner will be based in the coroner’s office and inquest court in Cockermouth, but will be at times be required to work at other locations within Cumbria to meet service needs.
It would be beneficial that the successful candidate resides within a reasonable commutable distance from this office.
As required the Lord Chancellor and the Chief Coroner for England and Wales has been notified of this vacancy.
If you wish to have an informal discussion regarding any possible application, please contact Andrew Smith, Professional Lead (Coroners Services) on 07717 807122.
Suitably qualified applicants are requested to complete the on-line application form, provide a supporting statement detailing how they feel they meet the criteria required for the post and provide a CV detailing your career to date.
NB: The supporting statement should be no more than two sides of A4 (Min. font size 12pt).
The web link to local authority jobs pages: https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/jobs.asp https://recruitment.cumbria.gov.uk/trentl_webrecruitment/wrd/run/ETREC107GF.open?VACANCY_ID%3d093863LZZn&WVID=3697840jJb
Closing date for applications: Midnight – Thursday 10th May 2018
Interview dates: Tuesday 5th and Wednesday 6th June 2018
Interview location: HM Coroners Offices, Fairfield, Station Road, Cockermouth, CA13 9PT
If you feel that you have the necessary skills and qualities required we look forward to hearing from you.