HM Area Coroner Cumbria10/05/2018 23:59
HM Coroners Offices, Fairfield, Station Road, Cockermouth, CA13 9PT
Post: HM Area Coroner - Cumbria
Salary: £90,000 p.a
Cumbria County Council as relevant authority for the Cumbria Coroner Area is seeking to appoint a new full-time Area Coroner to support HM Senior Coroner.
The role is to support HM Senior Coroner in delivering an efficient, effective and high quality Coronial Service to the people of Cumbria, and the wider community. Within the role you will have the opportunity to influence the overall strategic direction of the service, and work with HM Senior Coroner and the local authority to help shape the future service in Cumbria, and develop and further improve the Coroner Services, whilst ensuring any legal and statutory responsibilities are met.
We are looking for an exceptional candidate with excellent proven organisational, management and efficiency skills, as well as experience of managing and embracing change. You will work closely with HM Senior Coroner and the local authority to ensure the service demonstrates value for money, performance and financial efficiencies. Collaborative working with the local authority, the police and other stakeholders is a key and essential part of this role.
The successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following:
- Significant and recent experience of Coronial law and procedures either from experience of working as an Assistant Coroner, or relevant and appropriate experience as appearing as an advocate in complex Coronial cases which may be considered.
- Have sound knowledge of all aspects of the England and Wales legal system, with particular regard to Coronial law and the laws of evidence, the administration of the legal system and Court procedures, and of basic medicine.
- Practical experience in the conduct of Court proceedings and demonstrate the ability to handle highly sensitive or emotionally charged situations effectively.
- Be motivated and proactive, with a desire to provide an exceptional service to the people of Cumbria and the wider community.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Highly effective organisational skills and the ability to multi task, and is able to manage time, people and workload effectively
- The ability to deal with difficult and/or emotional people and situations in a sensitive manner
- The ability to readily explain legal and medical terms to non-specialists, and competent in dealing with sensitive situations involving relatives, witnesses, the police and the media.
- The ability to prepare and manage cases from initiation to conclusion
- A willingness to prepare and hear the whole range of inquests from simple cases to those fully engaging Article 2 both with and without a jury
- Recognise the importance of continuous professional development (CPD) and your own role in your CPD.
- Be motivated and proactive, with a desire to provide an exceptional service to the people of Cumbria and the wider community
It is key that the successful candidate will have proven back ground in the legal and coronial field, including carrying out investigations, case management, and conducting all types of inquests.
The successful candidate will:
- be a barrister or a solicitor or Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives
- satisfy the judicial-appointment eligibility condition on a 5 year basis
- be under the age of 70
- have experience working as a Coroner or advocate at Inquests, and be subject to the appointment & eligibility conditions (Coroners and Justice Act 2009 (s.23 and Schedule 3).
Once appointed the post holder will be a Judicial Office holder until they reach the age of 70 years (compulsory retirement age) unless they chose to resign or are removed by the Lord Chief Justice or Lord Chancellor prior their 70th birthday.
The Area Coroner will be based and work from the Coroner’s Office and inquest court in Cockermouth. The successful candidate should reside within approx. one hour’s commute of this office as a maximum.
The Area Coroner will need to travel to other inquest venues within the county as required.
As required the Lord Chncelloe and the Chief Coroner for England and Wales has been notified of this vacancy.
If you wish to have an informal discussion regarding any possible application, please contact Andrew Smith, Professional Lead (Coroners Services) on 07717 807122.
Suitably qualified applicants are requested to complete the on-line application form, and provide a supporting statement detailing how they feel they meet the criteria required for the post. A CV should also be included detailing your career to date.
NB: The supporting statement should be no more than four sides of A4 (Min. font size 12pt).
The web link to the local authority jobs section is: https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/ jobs.asp https://recruitment.cumbria.gov.uk/trentl_webrecruitment/wrd/run/ETREC107GF.open?VACANCY_ID%3d080466LZZn&WVID=3697840jJb
Closing date for applications: Midnight – Thursday 10th May 2018
Interview date: Monday – 4th June 2018
Interview location: HM Coroners Offices, Fairfield, Station Road, Cockermouth, CA13 9PT
If you feel that you have the necessary skills and qualities required we look forward to hearing from you.
The Local Authority is also seeking to appoint three new Assistant Coroners. If your application for the Area Coroners post were to be unsuccessful please advise (in a separate covering letter within your application) if you would like to be then considered for one of the Assistant Coroners posts. You must however ensure that separate applicable supporting information is also included, that covers the requirements of the Assistant Coroner posts as detailed in the separate candidate pack.