Vacancy Senior Coroner Cumbria
Cumbria County Council is seeking to appoint a new Senior Coroner to replace the current post-holder who is due to retire in May 2018.
Salary: £110,000 pa (+ 5.5% pension supplement)
Cumbria County Council is seeking to appoint a new Senior Coroner to replace the current post-holder who is due to retire in May 2018. We are looking for an exceptional candidate with excellent proven leadership, organisational, management and efficiency skills, as well as experience of managing and embracing change. You will work closely with the local authority to ensure the service demonstrates value for money, performance and financial efficiencies. Collaborative working with the local authority, the police and other stakeholders is an essential part of this role. The successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following: Comprehensive knowledge and experience of coronial law and procedures, the legal system, court procedure and of basic medicine
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills necessary to deal with a wide variety of stakeholders, including the ability to handle highly sensitive or emotionally charged situations effectively
• Highly effective organisational skills and the ability to multi task, and is able to manage time, people and workload effectively
• Be motivated and proactive, with a desire to provide an exceptional service to the people of Cumbria and the wider community It is desirable that the successful candidate will have proven experience of running, or sharing the running of a coroner’s jurisdiction, including carrying out investigations, case management, and conducting all types of inquests.
The successful candidate will:
• be a barrister or a solicitor or Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives
• satisfy the judicial-appointment eligibility condition on a 5 year basis
• be under the age of 70
• have experience working as a Senior Coroner, Area Coroner or Assistant Coroner and be subject to the appointment & eligibility conditions (Coroners and Justice Act 2009 (s.23 and Schedule 3). Once appointed the post holder will be a Judicial Office holder until they reach the age of 70 years (compulsory retirement age) unless they chose to resign or are removed by the Lord Chief Justice or Lord Chancellor prior their 70th birthday.
The Senior Coroner will be based in the coroner’s office and inquest court in Cockermouth. The successful candidate should reside within approx. one hour’s commute of this office as a maximum. As required the Chief Coroner for England and Wales has been notified of this vacancy. If you wish to have an informal discussion regarding the position, please contact Andrew Smith, Professional Lead (Coroners Services) on 07717 807122. email@example.com
Suitably qualified applicants are requested to complete the on-line application form, and upload the following information:
• Current CV
• Supporting statement detailing how they feel they meet the criteria required for the post. (maximum 4 pages) Further information and a link to the online application can be found at:
Closing date: Sunday 22nd October 2017 at 24:00hrs
Interview date: Tuesday 5th December 2017
Interview location: HM Coroners Offices, Cockermouth